Saturday 27 April 2013

Tretinoin 0.1% Gel Review

About 7 weeks ago, I began using Tretinoin 0.1% Gel from Shalaks Pharmaceuticals to treat my moderate/severe acne and scars on my face.
I first started using it every other night along with my Duac Once Daily Gel in between. After a week, I realised the Duac was making my skin incredibly dry, so, although Duac was prescribed by my GP and I had been on it for about 4 months, I stopped using it and continued with the tretinoin which I bought online. I began using it everyday and honestly, it was the best decision I'd ever made (skin-wise). 

My routine for tretinoin:
Every night, after washing my face with my Olay Essentials Refreshing Face wash and waiting 20 minutes, I apply a pea-sized amount of the tretinoin gel (opaque yellow in colour) on my face and thoroughly wash it off in the morning. I have approximately one third of the tube left so far. 



I've tried everything: 
benzoyl peroxide acnegel 5% - for years
benzoyl peroxide aquagel 5% - for years
Differin - for weeks
Duac Once Daily Gel - for months
Oxytetracycline - for months
Erythromycin (2 types) - for months
and so many more, I can't even remember. 

I basically went to the GP 3 years ago as I was worried about some rather black under the skin cystic acne on the sides of my cheeks, and since then, it's been up and down. A few months ago, I decided I no longer want to take oral medication to cure my acne, antibiotics had never worked well enough (even though I stayed on some for 6 months continuously) and I'm definitely put off using accutane, I don't think it's worth the side-effects. 

Yes, Tretinoin does make your skin peal an incredible amount, but for me, it's definitely worth it. I would say my face is 50% better than it was before I started. I have practically no active spots and my marks have faded so much (and some holes). I am planning to stay on this gel for as long as I can. 

In my next post, I will be talking about my latest purchase of No 7 Stay Perfect Liquid Foundation.
Any questions, suggestions, remarks, please do comment :) thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment